The Academy of Ancient Music is committed to protecting your personal information. We need to collect personal information to allow us to carry out our business, but it is your data, and beyond being required by law to take exceptional care of this data, we place an immense value on the relationship and trust we have with all our audience, supporters, and those with whom we work. We therefore aim to be clear about when and how we collect your data, and to only ever use it in ways you would reasonably expect.
How and when do we collect data?
1. Sign-up to email list
a) If you opt in to receive our emails by signing up via our website; and
b) If you complete an audience card at one of our concerts including your email address and a tick in the consent box.
2. Booking tickets
a) If you are an Academy or Associate member and buy a ticket for a concert through the AAM office;
b) If you buy a subscription to our Cambridge concerts through the AAM office.
a) If you donate, join AAM Friends, AAM Associates or AAM Academy, or let us know that you will be leaving a gift in your will.
4. Corporate contacts
a) If you are associated with AAM in a corporate sense, as an advisor, trustee or similar;
b) If you make contact with any of our staff and request that any information is sent to you;
c) When buying a CD via our website;
d) If you contract, are contracted by, AAM to provide a service; and
e) If you work on a production involving AAM.
5. Visits to our website
How we store data
Personal data is held and processed on systems managed by, or managed by suppliers on behalf of, Academy of Ancient Music. These are either locally-held or cloud-based systems containing personal data for our supporters, donors, audience members, and others we work with when carrying out our business activities. Access to these systems is password-controlled and restricted to relevant staff.
What data do we keep?
We only collect information necessary to carry out our business, provide any particular service you’ve requested, and to keep you informed:
1. Email list
Our email list holds email addresses, and, if supplied, your name. The system used to send emails allows analysis of which communications you have opened and clicked on.
2. Our in-house systems may include the following fields of information about you, if supplied by you, or if required for us to carry out our business:
• Name and Title
• Your relationship with AAM
• Email address
• Postal address
• Telephone number
• Date of birth
• Spouse, partner, or known contact name
• Image or likeness
• Relationship to other individuals on the database
• Correspondence between AAM and you
• Attendance at any AAM events
• Details of transactions between AAM and you
• Details of a legacy gift left to AAM in your will, if you have informed us
In addition we may also hold the following sensitive data for those who work with us, as required, for us to carry out our business:
• NI number
• Tax reference
• Bank account
• VAT number
What do we do with your data?
We may process your personal data we hold in a number of ways:
1. When necessary for the performance of a contract, including anyone purchasing goods or a service from AAM, and anyone contracting or contracted by AAM;
2. When we have your consent, including sharing news and information about AAM activities, and ways to support AAM;
3. When it is in our legitimate interest, including: ensuring the information we hold on you is up-to-date; understanding your interests and reasons for supporting AAM; segmenting our audience data to ensure we send you relevant information; understanding how you respond to our marketing and communications; to build a profile of potential audiences and supporters; commercial and promotional purposes; and, to research and carry out due diligence on donors;
4. When it is a legal obligation, including supplying information to statutory bodies; and,
5. When it is in your vital interest, for example, in a medical emergency.
AAM enjoys generous support from a small number of donors primarily as members of the AAM Academy and Associates. On occasion we will want to better understand an individual’s capacity and willingness to further support AAM. To do this, we may, in advance, use the data held by AAM together with publicly available information on residence, family (if given by the individual), wealth and assets, donations to other organisations, and other interests, to identify those and others who may want to support us further.
Your data and third-party organisations
We will never sell or rent your data to other organisations.
Some of our service providers will be given access to your data in order to perform services on our behalf – for example payment processing or mailing houses. We make sure anyone who provides a service for the Academy of Ancient Music enters into an agreement with us and meets our standards for data security. They will not use your data for anything other than the clearly defined purpose relating to the service that they are providing.
Third party advertisers (such as Facebook or Google) to help us identify customers similar to our audience or to serve relevant adverts to you on third party websites. Any information shared with such advertisers is anonymised.
Recordings and images
AAM may capture audio and visual recordings at AAM events for archive, commercial, and promotional purposes, including audio recordings, website, social media accounts and advertisements. This may include the capture of your personal data including image and likeness. If we process this data it will be done on a legitimate interest basis, meaning we would not seek to obtain specific consent for use where personal data is only used in a background capacity, or for internal use.
How you can opt out of hearing from us
If you prefer not to receive emails from us you can unsubscribe at any time. Simply scroll to the foot of an email and click ‘Unsubscribe’. Our systems will then not allow us to email you until you actively sign-up again.
If you no longer wish to received information from us via post or telephone please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01223 301509.
If you want to contact us to discuss your data and how we collect, use and store it:
Data Protection Officer
Cherry Trees Centre
St Matthew’s Street
Cambridge CB1 2LT
Telephone 01223 301509
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority, The Information Commissioner’s Office – www.ico.org.uk
The Academy of Ancient Music is a charity (1085485) and limited company (4109942). The Academy of Ancient Music is the data controller of your personal information.
Policy updated 8 June 2020.